Homemade Sausage Patties without The Meat
Craving that sausage patty flavor? Make them easily at home.
If you're working on losing weight and cutting back on meat, try these homemade vegan sausage patties. The flavor and texture of these patties won't make you miss the meat.
If you haven't cooked with tempeh, it's a versatile and easy food to cook with. It's available at most grocery stores and can be eaten raw or cooked.
Tempeh is fermented soybean as opposed to processed soy which is tofu. Because it's fermented it is also a natural source of probiotics. It's easier for your body to absorb the nutrients in tempeh because of the presence of phytic acid, a substance found in soy.
Slightly nutty in flavor, tempeh has a host of health benefits too. It's anti-inflammatory, has 16 grams of protein for every 3 ounces, and 4 oz has over 70% of the daily recommended value of manganese which supports healthy bones and metabolism.
Breakfast Sausage Patty Recipe
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1/4 shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp maple sugar (I bought mine on Treatmo from a local farm)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 leaves fresh sage or a teaspoon of dried sage
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (alternatively, use Tastic Original (amazing spice blend on Treatmo with parsley, paprika, pepper, lemon peel. I used this the second time I made this and LOVED the results))
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 tsp olive oil (cold pressed options from Treatmo)
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce or go local, natural with The OKB BBQ Sauce 'Hot' - available on Treatmo iOS App.
Blend tempeh into a fine crumble. (I used a Cuisinart. You can also grate the tempeh.) Add the shallot and garlic to the blender and combine. Follow by blending in the remaining ingredients.
If you aren't using a blender, combine all of the ingredients into a bowl and combine well.
Once all of your ingredients are combined, you should have a dough-like mass. Refrigerate for up to two hours (or longer for deeper flavor). You can cook immediately, it may crumble a bit more, however. Then, using clean hands, form dough into patties.
Add a tablespoon or two of cooking oil (I used Napa Valley EVOO - available on Treatmo iOS App) to a frying pan on medium heat. Scoop out a 1/4 cup of dough or more and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick.
Cook the patties until brown on each side. About 3-4 minutes a side.
Serve with a sauce like The OKB's BBQ Sauce or Lesedi Farm Peri Peri sauce -- both available on Treatmo iOS App.
Inspired by Minimalist Baker and "The Natural Health Cookbook," by Dana Jacobi.