This Homemade Za'atar Pizza Brings Greatness To Your Kitchen
With this sauce and crust combo you might start making pizza at home every night.
There are times you want a great pizza, and most people have their go to pizza delivery, but it doesn't always satisfy all hopes of pizza night. When an easy to make and delicious pizza crust option comes along, half the job of getting the pizza is done.
We made this pizza crust from Whole Note gluten free baking mixes and added Jar Goods 'Classic Spicy' tomato sauce, and it changed our view of pizza.
Whole Note mixes do most of the work for you and then some. The flavor of their crusts are outstanding and with a tiny bit of effort you can have pizza on the table in less than an hour. Plus, Whole Note goes a step further to give you added nutrition by making clean mixes (no funny stuff) with 7-whole grains. That's more than you'll have the time to put into a dough on most nights of the year.
The kicker is that their mixes are extremely fast to make and really tasty. Add to your Treatmo shopping list Jar Goods 3-pack of tomato sauces and you're ready to take on dinner with the easy and efficiency of a pro. Plus this duo packs a pizza crust and sauce taste combo that your neighborhood pizza joint would be jealous of.
What you'll need from the Treatmo iOS market:
- Whole Note Gluten Free PIzza Crust Mix
- Jar Goods 'Classic Spicy' vine-ripened tomato sauce -- incredibly flavorful and authentic tomato sauce.
- Za'atar from Napa Valley EVOO -- the best we've tasted
The toppings are up to you from there! But this recipe inspired by Lucifer's Pizza in Los Angeles, takes the cake.
For one pizza (serves three)
- Whole Note gluten free pizza crust (olive oil, sugar and water to make--yeast pack included in box)
- 1/2 a large yam
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 5-6 white onion rings
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- A handful of fresh arugula
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
Follow the directions for making the dough that come with the Whole Note pizza crust mix.
Here are some useful tips:
- First you'll make the yeast (be sure that your water is bath water hot, not luke warm)
- Add the mix to your yeast mixture and combine. Scoop out the dough on a large square of parchment paper (15" by 15") and brush olive oil over the top. Then place a similarly large square of clear plastic wrap over the top of the dough before pressing down or rolling with a rolling pin. The beauty of a rustic crust is that it doesn't have to be perfectly round, the more imperfect the better.
You can follow the directions on Whole Note and get a perfect crust. We found a recipe at Kitchn that makes a fool proof crust with or without a pizza stone. Adapted for the Whole Note crust here:
- Press or roll the dough into a rustic circle. Slide the dough-along with the parchment paper- onto a rimless baking sheet sprinkled with either cornmeal or flour. Prick it all over with a fork to prevent giant dough bubbles. Brush the surface with an olive oil sea salt mixture to provide a flavorful base.
- Par-bake the dough for about 3 to 5 minutes in an oven that's been preheating for at least 30 minutes, at 450°F (the hotter, the better) at least. It's not a thick crust, so it will brown fairly quickly, but you don't want to cook it through until you add your toppings.
- When you can gently slip a spatula underneath all sides of the crust with relative ease, with no sticking and sagging in the middle, pull the pizza out of the oven and pull the parchment paper out from underneath the pizza.
- Turn the heat down to 395 so that you don't over bake the crust while the toppings cook (prop the door with a wooden spoon to release some of the heat). Add all of your toppings. Put the pizza back in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the crust begin to brown.
Note: For items that need to be cooked through, we recommend prepping those items first. We parboiled the yams just until tender. For meats cook through just until done.
Shop Jar Goods on Treatmo
Choose from three different sauces to make your food delicious.
The flavor of this gluten free crust is outstanding. You'll find that nothing else will do when it comes to achieving a crust with flavor that's consistent and easy to make. Two mixes come in one pack. Shop Whole Note baking mixes on Treatmo iOS app for easy tracking of your purchases and to make comments for yourself for future orders. See how to order (and gift)!